Aurigma Image Uploader 6.5 Dual
Upgrading Minor Versions
From time to time new versions of Image Uploader with new features and bug fixes are released. This topic discusses how to update Image Uploader properly.
The way to upgrade Image Uploader depends on the way in which it is embedded:
- If you use ASP.NET wrapper (Aurigma.ImageUploader.dll file) read the Using Image Uploader ASP.NET Control section.
- If you use PHP wrapper (ImageUploaderPHP folder) read the Using Image Uploader PHP Library section.
If you just replace ImageUploader37.cab and ImageUploader37.jar files you will find out that old version is still used. It happens because the browser caches ActiveX controls and Java applets. It allows avoiding re-downloading them every time the user reloads the page. Therefore, it reduces traffic and increases response time. However, it requires some additional efforts to update Image Uploader.
In a common way, you should update Image Uploader-related files, set new version numbers as values of the corresponded properties, and update Image Uploader on the client side.
It works in the following way:
- The browser stores the version of Image Uploader when it is installed for the first time.
- When the page is reloaded, the browser compares the version of installed Image Uploader with the version specified on this page.
- If the version specified in the page is higher than the version of the installed Image Uploader, the browser automatically downloads the new version. Otherwise, it uses the version from the browser cache.
Let us see how to update ActiveX and Java version using iuembed.js.
To update ActiveX version of Image Uploader:
- Copy new ImageUploader37.cab to the server instead of the old one.
- Insert new version number to the activeXControlVersion property of the ImageUploaderWriter.
To get a version number of ActiveX control, you can:
- Unpack ImageUploader37.cab. You can do it in the same manner as you unpack common ZIP or RAR archives.
- Click the OCX file from ImageUploader37.cab with a right mouse button.
- Select Properties menu item.
- Click the Version tab.
Also, the version number is specified on the Image Uploader SDK download page.
Here is an example of the activeXControlVersion usage:
To update Java version of Image Uploader
- Copy new ImageUploader37.jar to the server instead of the old one.
- Insert the new version number to the javaAppletVersion property of the ImageUploaderWriter.
Additionally, there is a javaAppletCached property which specifies whether Java applet caching feature is enabled. If it is false, the applet is always re-downloaded from the server regardless to the version number.
This code snippet demonstrates how to use these properties properly:
If Image Uploader is embedded using the ASP.NET control, all what you need to update Image Uploader is copying new Aurigma.ImageUploader.dll to the server instead of the old one.
By analogy with Image Uploader ASP.NET control, to update Image Uploader embedded PHP library just replace the ImageUploaderPHP with a new one.